Wednesday, May 6, 2009

lately i've been recovering from a serious back injury that has left me bedridden and unable to paint, make jewelry, and up until now, write. during times of lucidity i have been thinking more and more of one of my lifelong inspirations, frida kahlo. due to multiple surgeries as the result of a terrible accident she endured when she was in high school, frida spent many long periods of her life bedridden and immobile. yet, somehow she found the inner strength to still paint and created many of her best works in bed bound in a plaster corset. above is an image from a beautiful editorial of frida from a new magazine dujour and below is one of my favorite paintings of hers, 'the dream' which i have hanging at eye level next to my bed. i hope to be painting soon and sharing the new work i'll be creating for my next solo show in august at mew gallery.

2 comments :

. c h o k l i t . said...

Oh dear, I hope you feel better soon! Frida's life and her work was absolutely brilliant, sounds like perfect inspiration. Hang in there...

The Hand Of Fatima Design said...

leila marvel lead me to you. i am very spooked. you're amazingly talented. i see an abundance of commonalities in our work and inspirations. i took a look at some of your posts and i am like wow!!

i'll be at art star too! i hope to make it to your gallery. congratulations!
xo
mariam