Wednesday, March 5, 2014

on solitude.

Andy Goldsworthy

Andy Goldsworthy

Andy Goldsworthy

always the deep of winter makes me go into a kind of inner retreat. nothing feels firm or fixed or even real, though the promise of spring becomes a lure that flashes brilliantly in the endless sea of winter. artist andy goldsworthy's work speaks of this isolation; there is a poignant & disquieting solitude in his structures. paul introduced me to him last year (winter?) via his film 'rivers and tides' and i was absolutely snared watching the artist carefully form and stack and bend and arrange ice and sticks and leaves and rocks; all which bloomed beneath his patience and focus. this kind of impermanent making reminds me of the temporary nature of both winter and the murky feelings that i often couple with during its long tenure.

"I go into solitude so as not to drink out of everybody's cistern. When I am among the many I live as the many do, and I do not think I really think. After a time it always seems as if they want to banish my self from myself and rob me of my soul." - Nietzsche

(winter please be over.)

2 comments :

Laura Morrigan said...

I remember looking at Goldsworthy's work in high school and marvelling at his use of all natural materials. There was some lattice he made joined completely with tiny twigs and thorns! I love how ephemeral his work is! Thanks for reminding me of this amazing artist!

Sweeper of Dreams said...

Boy, this post hit home. The artwork, but especially your words. How murky, how surreal - this winter hibernation is a never ending dream. I expect to be swimming through the snow soon!